Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Short Play Sunday #2: Morning Rituals for the Blessed


(Lights come up on an old kitchen, mint refrigerator, pink counter tops, black and white tile floor, lots of antique statuettes and decorations litter the back wall.  Sitting at a table are MAE and HAL.  HAL is reading his news paper while MAE cracks into a hard boiled egg.)

MAE
This thing is especially delicious this morning.

HAL
Those things are always good.  This thing is also filled with some amazing stuff today.  Good things happening in the world today, Mae.

MAE
Such is the blessed life we lead Hal.  I remember when those things happened to those people back in that day, how terribly dreadful that was.

HAL
Oh, terrible things my Mae, terrible things.

MAE
I’m just overjoyed that today we have good people doing good things for the good of this blessed world.

HAL
Good things, good people, blessed world.

MAE
Oh darnit.

HAL
What is it dear?

MAE
I cracked my thing with my doohicky a little too hard and got a little piece of stuff in my mouth.

HAL
Oh, I hate it when you get stuff in your food.  Did you get the stuff out?

(MAE digs through her mouth and pulls out a little piece of eggshell)

MAE
Here it is, little bugger.

HAL
Oh, looky here, there’s that thing happening at that place you wanted to go to!

MAE
Oh with the little activities I wanted to do and people I wanted to see?

HAL
And the things to eat, those things you love to eat.

MAE
Oh thank goodness, what a blessed life.  We’ll be sure to attend.

HAL
Oh, shoot, the time interferes with that one thing you have to do with that one lady.

MAE
Oh no, not that.  Well, there is always next year I suppose.  Always future opportunities.

HAL
Yes, yes.  Always future opportunities.

MAE
Blessed life, blessed life.  Oh, Hal dear, did you pick up that thing I requested?

HAL
From that one store?

MAE
Yes, that one store that also sells those other watchamacallits and cute little thingamabobs.

HAL
Ah, yes, the other day.  I walked right in and used my thing to pay and the guy didn’t even have to give me any stuff back.  The things we’re able to do today to get thingies.

MAE
Oh thank you Hal, and yes, such a life we live.  So many interesting things.

HAL
I remember when you went to the place you had to have the stuff to pay for the things right then and there.  Now all you need a little square doohicky and poof- it’s yours!  No accountability these days.

MAE
Ah, that’s why people get into that trouble they do.  Such trouble.  Such trouble.

HAL
One of the few shadows in this blessed life we live.

MAE
Ah yes, blessed life, blessed life.

HAL
Miss Mae, I am lucky to have you.

MAE
Oh Mr. Hal.  Such luck fell in my lap when you waltzed into my life.

HAL
You’re the best of the things in my life.

MAE
And you the best in mine.

HAL
Certain things I’m not as lucky to have.

MAE
Certain things aren’t good to have.

HAL
Yes, those things.  In spite of those things, I am lucky to adore you all the same.

MAE
And in spite of those places I go that perhaps I don’t need to go.

HAL
Yes, those places aren’t good to go to.

MAE
In spite of those places I go with those people, I’m lucky to come to this place with someone like you.

HAL
It’s a blessed life Miss Mae.

MAE
A blessed life indeed.  Oh such a blessed life.

(The two turn back to their respective activities and continue their morning rituals.  Light go down as MAE takes her last bite of egg and HAL turns to the last page of his newspaper.)

END.

No comments:

Post a Comment